New Ideas to try! :)

It's been forever, I know.... My garden fizzled out since we have had record heat, unrelenting days of over 100 degrees for a couple months now! My garden just couldn't hang on. I did enjoy it while it lasted!

Since May I have been enjoying getting fresh produce from a co-op called www.bountifulbaskets.org. It has been great! I thought about opening a pick up site here locallly, but realized I just don't have the time to commit to it. If I have the time I drive about 30 minutes to the nearest pick up site and the produce is AMAZING!!!

Today, I picked up my normal basket, which included:
1 head of lettuce; 1 head of broccoli, 3 large ears of corn, 4 tomatoes, 14 plums, 3 pears, 5 nectarines, 1 lb. strawberries, 1 large back seedless black grapes, 1 cantaloupe and 7 bananas. In addition I decided to order their case of plums. It said it would have 10 variety of plums, 12 lbs. for $10.50. I got 12 lbs. of 4 different variety, but that's ok.

But, it's A LOT of plums, LOL! So I took to the internet and googled for different things to make with plums. Here are my ideas that I hope to be trying this week since the kids are back in school starting Monday. :)

Chinese Plum Sauce - I will cut this recipe in half and end up hopefully with about 2 cups, I hope that one of those cups will freeze well. It says I can put it on grilled chicken, yummmmm!

Plum Bread - this sounds like a possible breakfast item. It calls for vanilla yogurt and I still have some of my homemade vanilla yogurt needing to be used. A win win!

Freeze Plums for use later! - this is a great idea - wouldn't it be fun to pull out in the dead of winter?

I also saw an idea to grill them! I have tried a few fruits grilled and LOVE them - this one said to slice them, drizzle with honey and grill, yummm! :)

Ok, so the rest of what I don't cook or freeze or grill will just be eaten, we all like plums at this house. :)

I also always am looking for new baking ideas and of course with wheat! I'm always looking for healthy, easy and quick breakfast ideas and my husband has gotten bored lately with his oatmeal breakfast. So I went on the search for ideas and here are a couple I MUST try soon.

Whole Wheat Pita Bread - I like this recipe and will try it, but I prefer a different technique that didn't involve my oven. I will use my griddle with a cover and cook them in there. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Homemade English Muffins - Super excited about this! and then use these for these breakfast sandwiches!

I'm excited - I don't even care that it's over 100 outside, I'll be happily baking and cooking away in my kitchen next week! :) Yay! Although I am super excited about soup season that MUST be right around the corner....I hope! :)

Comments

  1. Yummm!!! Plums are one of my favorite fruits ever. What did you end up making? How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do realize that this post was from a long time ago... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes