Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op

For information on the food co-op I'm talking about go here. Today I picked up some great produce from Bountiful Baskets Food co-op. I'm very excited. In my standard $15 basket this is what I got: 3 large onions 1 head romaine lettuce 2 bunches celery 1 bag carrots 1 head broccoli 2 6 oz. bags radishes 9 small Persian cucumbers 6 oranges 8 apples 6 mangos 3 lbs. strawberries I also ordered the tropical pack for $10.50 which included: 1 coconut 1 pineapple 1 starfruit 3 mangos 2 limes 2 lemons 1 bag fresh mint 2 vanilla beans I'm soo excited! I've been waiting all day to get home and google recipes to figure out what I'm gonna cook all week with my loot! :) Here are some of the things I've found. Asian Pork chops with mint Coconut mango chicken with black beans Braised Radishes Roasted Radishes Grilled Radishes I have two in my family that really enjoy salad. In fact one of my children will eat a salad in her lunch daily if I send it. I'll use the lettuce and carrots and maybe a few thinly sliced radishes for that. My husband loves to eat celery as a snack, either plain or dipped in cream cheese. The rest of the carrots I'll slice for the kids to snack on with dip. The fresh broccoli I'll either grill or steam for use as a side item at dinner. I gave one bag of radishes to my mom who really enjoys them and with the few left I might try one of the recipes I listed above. The persian cucumbers are a fun thing that I've never worked with before. I found this great recipe for a salad that would use some of my mint and radishes as well. This might be the best way to use it and something my husband would really enjoy. Cucumber salad with mint and feta The oranges, apples, mangos and strawberries will just get eaten up by my family throughout the week. I doubt any of it will stay around for long! :) I'm lucky that my husband has a lot of experience with coconuts and pineapples. He served a mission for our church and spent 2 years living in Jamaica. He would like to grate the coconut and I found the chicken recipe above that will use the coconut milk. The pineapple - we will wait for it to ripen some more and then grill it. Have you ever had grilled pineapple?!? It's sooo good! Try it! You can grill it as is, or add some cinnamon/sugar/honey on it. I started to look up recipes to use the starfruit, but it sounds like the starfruit is really yummy just cut up raw. I think we will just eat it for dessert some night after dinner. I can think of a bunch of different ways to use the vanilla beans, so we will see what I decided. The following recipes both sound super yummy: Vanilla bean sugar cookies French Vanilla bean ice cream I'm gonna be a happy cook for the next couple weeks, hopefully just in time to go get a new basket of goodies! :)

Comments

  1. Hmmm...not sure why it posted like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I used to LOVE pretending I was on "Chopped". It is fun to try to use it all up :) I grated my coconut toasted it and added it to homemade granola and granola bars. Pretty great stuff. Glad you were pleased :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes