Improved the Wheat Bread Recipe!

I am really soo excited! I LOVE wheat bread. As I've posted before, I store and grind my own wheat at home, so using it is really important to me. I posted a recipe for Fast and Easy Whole Wheat Bread before and it is super easy and it is super yummy. However, there were a couple things I didn't like about it and I think I figured out a couple easy ways to improve the recipe. Here is the recipe after I changed a couple things:

2 1/2 cups hot tap water
2 tsp. dry active yeast
5 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tbsp. salt (I use kosher)
1/3 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1/3 cup honey or sugar (I use sugar)
1 1/4 tbsp. lemon juice

Mix together water and yeast and add 1 tsp. of the sugar or honey. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes to proof the yeast. Add the 1 cup white flour and 3 cups whole wheat flour, stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes just until it starts to rise. Add salt, oil, the rest of the honey or sugar and lemon juice and mix for one minute.
Add the remaining whole wheat flour 1 cup at a time, mixing between each cup. (I just let my kitchen aid mix while I add the flour) Knead for about 6-10 minutes until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. (mine is a very sticky looking dough, but when I pull it out to the counter it comes together in a nice stretchy dough) Preheat oven to 350 then turn off while you are shaping your dough. Pour dough out onto oiled counter, divide and shape into loafs and place in oiled loaf pans.
Let dough rise in warm oven until dough reaches top of pans. (this takes me about 30 minutes and I usually leave the oven door propped open)
Close oven, turn onto 350 and bake for 30 minutes. No need to preheat oven. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.

This bread is delicious and soo easy to make. The one cup of white flour really makes a difference in this bread. It is still mostly whole wheat, but the white flour makes it fluffier and not as dense. :)

Hope you enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes