Sloppy Joes on Wheat rolls!

On Monday nights I don't get home until around 7:30, but Ray and the two youngest get home around dinner time. Sometimes my mom is here with the kids and cooks for them, but some nights I need to make sure there is something waiting for them. Like tonight. :) I needed something easy, something yummy and something I could make ahead and it would be hot and ready for them. Here is what I ended up doing and it got rave reviews by all. Hope you enjoy it as well.

When I'm on my game I brown my hamburger ahead of time and then freeze it in ziploc bags. This is sooo convienent and easy, I wish I would be smart enough to do it all the time. So today, I took a bag of already browned hamburger out with onion and stuck it in my small crockpot on high. It heated up and when it was all loose again I added:

2 Tbsp mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp wheat germ (sneeky ;) )

Mixed it up real well and then set it to low and left it.





Then I made the rolls which were sooo easy and quick you must try them. They are delicious and rather healthy too.

1 cup plus 2 Tbsp warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp. salt (I used kosher)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour*
1 1/2 to 2 cups all purpose flour (I added just the 1 1/2 cups to the mix and then just added more in as I kneaded it )

* I also replaced 1 tbsp of the wheat flour with wheat gluten.

dissolve the yeast in the water
add the oil and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes
add the rest of the ingredients and mix well ( I mixed in the kitchen aid with the dough hook) until a soft dough forms
pour out onto a floured surface and knead until you have a soft and elastic dough
divide into 12 sections and form them into rolls
place on greased cookie sheet
cover and let rest 10 minutes
bake in a 425 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until well browned





When the rolls were done, I just left them on the cookie sheet and covered them with a towel so they wouldn't dry out. Ray got home and had home made rolls and hot sloppy joe mix to put on them. He just added some fruit and had a perfectly healthy dinner for all. Then our oldest child and I got home and we did then same. Perfect! Now, if I can just do this well every day, hahah! Enjoy! Let me know if you try it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes