Rye Artisan Bread

Doesn't this look delicious? Guess what? It is!!! I love rye bread. This also is from my new cookbook, "Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day". It was almost as easy as the master recipe, just a couple more ingredients.



I started out with my NEW grain grinder. Isn't is BEAUTIFUL! I'm a big fan of appliances and this is one I've waited a LONG time for. It's super easy to use and gives me the BEST flour to work with.




I started out with this. Rye berries. I got them in the bulk department at Central Market. I don't remember the price per pound, but I know I got that whole huge bag for under $5, so not too bad.




Here is how my rye flour turned out. Isn't it pretty? LOL! Then you can see my dough after it's first rise.






Now it's your turn to try. Let me know if you try it and how you liked it!
3 cups luke warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp caraway seeds, plus some for sprinkling on top
1 cup rye flour
5 1/2 cups white flour
mix it all together as before with the master recipe, then let it rise on the counter for about 2 hours, then refrigerate
When ready to bake, dust top with flour, take off a 1 pound piece (grapefruit size) and shape by pulling the top under and rotating a 1/4 turn, place on a pizza peel with cornmeal, let rise 1 hour and 40 minutes...then paint with *cornstarch wash, sprinkle caraway seeds on top and make two parallel slits on top with a sharp knife...heat your baking stone in a 450 degree oven, with a broiler tray on the bottom rack for water...slide your bread onto the hot baking stone, pour a cup of hot water into the broiler tray and shut the over door...bake for 30 minutes! Cool completely before slicing or eating.
*cornstarch wash: 1/2 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp water, make a paste, add 1/2 cup water and heat 30-60 seconds in microwave until glossy

Comments

  1. Yummm! I decided I'm going to start all my comments with that word, btw...
    I think a grain grinder is such a great idea. I may have to add it to my list of items to get in the future.
    This bread looks beautiful! You did an amazing job. I think I need to get that book. I wonder if my library has it...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes