My First Square Foot Garden

First my handy husband made this wood frame. I think he used 2 2'X8' and had Home Depot cut them in half. Therefore the box is a 4'X4' and has 16 square foot boxes to plant in. He had already put up the fencing you see, so he had fencing wire left over and decided to use that for the grid. In hindsight he would have opted for something easier, but it was still a good use of something that was left over. He also burned the ground underneath for me, to get rid of grass and weeds, then we covered that area with weed control fabric. I place my "box" on that and then filled it with the reccomended Mel's mix which is 1/3 each of peat moss, compost and vermiculite. Mine ended up being about 1/2 compost and 1/4 of each vermiculite and peat moss.

Right now it's not very pretty, but it's really new. I have a few plantlings I had started from seed inside, some look good, others not so much. The rest is seeds that just got planted today. I also left two squares empty for tomato plants that I hope to get in the next couple days (if my kids would quit being sick, lol). I also need some trellis for my vine climbers. I plan on using those white shelf things that I had left over and attatching them to the top side somehow. My handy husband will be helping thank goodness. :)

Not sure if you can read the text I put on the picture. This is a close up of one of my carrots. I really don't know what to expect from them. I started them inside and when I planted them outside, they kinda disappeared. However, today I saw this green sprout which gives me hope. Stay tuned!


I have some lettuce sprouts. I planted a lot of lettuce with the hope to use it as a base for all the other veggies I will be harvesting!







Now, I have a pretty brown thumb, so if this garden is a success, I will be pretty stoked! I really don't know what I am doing. A lot of this will be trial and error. When I first planted some of my plantlings, I planted cucumber and the next day they were gone. I figured something had eaten them. I was getting ready to plant something else in it's spot today and found this. It's soo pretty. Just a little tiny sprout, yet so perfect. I hope it's cucumber, haha and I hope it continues to grow!
Here is my entire garden and what is planted in each spot. The amount planted in each box varies according to the plant spacing for each. For instance, broccoli and bell peppers are only planted one per square foot. However, peas allow 16 per square foot. So, stay tuned for updates on my garden. If it flops big time, you'll hear, I will be dissapointed, but no shame in trying! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes