2-week menu plan, recipes and reviews

I have been really trying for about 2 weeks now to cook meals for my family. Healthy and planned and every night. Don't get me wrong...I've always cooked, but I would cook like meat and potatoes and maybe add a veggie. Or, I would get stuck in a rut and cook the same old things. Or, I wouldn't plan and at the last minute we would eat out or I would have Ray bring dinner home. As a means to save money, get more organized and eat healthier I have been menu planning and preparing our meals each night. One good thing is that when Ray and I were first married, he wouldn't eat leftovers. He had eaten some bad food as a child that were in the form of leftovers and he was dead set against all leftovers. Luckily he has finally come around and will eat leftovers. Yay! So, I can cook all week and he has lunches as well. Perfect! So, I thought I might post my menu plans and recipes and give my "review" of each one. I might even do it each week. We shall see. :) Leave me comments so I know whose reading and whether you enjoy it or not. Also, tell me if you've had the recipe or something similar as well.

Ok, my pay week goes from Friday to Thursday. However, my goal is to shop for major stuff only twice a month and to have a meal plan for 2 weeks. This review will be for the past 2 weeks, but will have the plan and recipes for the next week as well.

Friday - Dinner out

Saturday - Chicken and Corkscrew pasta

*This wasn't my favorite. Ray said it was ok, but I probably won't make it again. I just didn't care for the flavor combinations, but maybe someone else will.*

Chicken and corkscrew pasta
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pasta 5 Points Per Serving
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast -- cut up
1 can cream of chicken and broccoli soup
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup broccoli -- frozen
1 cup cauliflower -- frozen
2 cups pasta -- corkscrew
grated parmesan cheese -- to taste
Boil chicken until tender (15 mins).
Remove and cool Add to a skillet: soup, water, basil and vegetables. Heat to a boil.
Add uncooked pasta. Cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Add chicken.
Cook 5 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring often. Sprinkle with cheese.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 248 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (9% calories from fat); 24g Protein;
31g Carbohydrate; 47mg Cholesterol; 359mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 Grain Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

Sunday - Dinner at friends house.

Monday - Fast and Easy Lasagna and Breadsticks

*Check out next Friday for the recipes. Very delicious and easy to make.*

Tuesday- Beef Stroganoff in Crockpot

*This was pretty good if you like beef stroganoff. It has a very strong flavor, so the picky kids didn't care for it, but Cambria enjoyed it a lot and so did Ray. I thought it was ok. Very easy to make, just stick it all in in the crockpot, cook noodles right before dinner and it's done. I would make this again definitely. I followed the recipe as listed, except I ommitted the mushrooms because I don't care for those and I didn't have them. I left all the extras on this recipe incase they were useful to you.*

Beef Stroganoff-Crockpot
Recipe By : Weight Watchers Magazine, September/October 1997
9 Points Per Serving

I made this for Valentine's Day dinner. Russell Fletcher originally posted this to Eat-LF, and it was a real keeper. I made some adjustments (see my notes at the end), which are reflected in the ingredients. And since I increased the beef and some of the other ingredients, I have leftovers - yippee! Thanks Russell.

1 1/2 lbs beef, trimmed -- * see note
1 c chopped onion
8 ozs sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsps dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill -- dried
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic -- minced
1/2 c all-purpose flour -- * see note
1 can fat-free beef broth -- * see note
3/4 c lowfat sour cream
6 c egg noodles, Barilla -- cooked, * see note

Trim fat from steak. Wrap steak in heavy-duty plastic wrap; freeze 30 minutes. Unwrap steak; cut steak diagonally across grain into 1/8-inch thick slices. Place steak, onion, and next 7 ingredients in a 3-quart electric slow cooker. combine flour and broth in a bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Add broth mixture to cooker; stir well. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or until tender. Turn slow cooker off; remove lid. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Serve stroganoff over noodles.
Serving Size : 6
Original recipe called for 1 lb. steak, which would have brought it under 30% CFF, but we like more meat in it. Russell Fletcher webauthor@bigfoot.com
Betsy's Notes: Made 2/14/00. Had 1 1/2 lbs of extra lean stew beef in cubes and used it just as it was (original recipe called for 1 lb of t-bone steak, and then sliced it thin). To make up for the extra beef I increased the broth to use the whole can (was 1 cup), and the flour (was 1/3 cup). And, because the extra beef gave me additional servings, I increased the noodle amount to give me the right nutritional analysis.
Per serving: 436 Calories; 8g Fat (17% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 133mg Cholesterol; 409mg Sodium
NOTES : Bon Appetit, Betsy BurtisDerry, NH

Wednesday - Leftovers

Thursday - London Broil with Egg Fried Rice

*London Broil is just a cut of meat. Look for it or ask your butcher. I love london broil and last year I found an amazing deal, so I bought about $60 worth and packaged it for the freezer. A 1 lb. piece feeds a lot. I just defrost and rely on my wonderful husband Ray to grill it when he comes home from work. He seasons it and sticks it on the grill, then brings it in and slices it in strips. Very yummy. It went very well with the egg fried rice. I will be making it again.*

Egg Fried Rice
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides 4 Points Per Serving
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 teaspoon sesame oil
6 egg whites
4 cups cooked rice -- cold
1 cup green peas
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup bean sprouts
1/3 cup green onions -- chopped
Okay, if you don't have sesame oil - don't use any at all... I have left it here purely
because it adds a very unique taste to this dish. Sesame oil is a very flavorful oil - if you
are going to use a little bit in any dish I highly recommend using sesame oil because of the
flavor. It's just great.
Combine the sesame oil, eggs and egg whites in a small bowl; stir well and set aside. Heat a
large non-stick skillet or wok that has been sprayed with non-stick spray over medium-high
heat. Add egg mixture and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add rice; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add green peas,
salt and pepper; stir-fry 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts and green onions; stir-fry 2 minutes.
Serve immediately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 315 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (5% calories from fat); 13g Protein;
60g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 624mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

Friday - Easy Lasagna and Breadsticks

*This has become a new family favorite. All 3 kids eat this and rave about it and it has now been tested on the missionaries as well. They loved it! The lasagna really is easy and is fairly low in weight watchers points if you are doing that. I can have this meal on the table in 30 minutes from the time I start. It is a straight working 30 minutes though, so make sure you have that dedicated time.*
Fast and Easy Lasagna
Recipe By : WRAL OnLine
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :30 min
Categories : Pasta 7 Points Per Serving
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
vegetable cooking spray
1 pound extra lean ground beef
26 ounces pasta sauce -- low calorie
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 teaspoons italian seasoning
8 ounces yolk-free egg noodles
8 ounces fat-free sour cream
8 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese -- or cottage cheese
3 cups fat-free mozzarella cheese -- shredded
Preheat oven to 350º.
Lightly spray 13x9 inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
Brown ground round and drain well.
Add pasta sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
Simmer 10 to 15
minutes.
While sauce simmers, cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
Combine hot noodles with sour cream, ricotta cheese and 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
Layer ingredients by pouring half of noodle/cheese mixture on bottom of baking dish.
Top with half of the pasta sauce mixture.
Add remaining noodle/cheese mixture and top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Return to oven for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 349 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (24% calories from fat); 33g Protein;
33g Carbohydrate; 48mg Cholesterol; 559mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 Grain Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat;
1/2 Other Carbohydrates

30 Minute Breadsticks OR No-Fail Deep Dish Pizza Crust
(If it is too thick for your family, you can either half the recipe or put one full recipe onto two cookie sheets)
2 1/2 C. Medium Hot Water5 tsp. SAF Instant Yeast*2 Tbsp. Sugar3 Tbsp. Oil1 tsp. Salt6 C. Flour (you can do half all-purpose and half white wheat or 100% whole wheat)1 to 2 Cubes of Butter
Directions:1. Pour medium hot water in mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and allow to dissolve.2. Add sugar, salt, and oil. Gradually add approximately 6 cups of flour.3. Melt 1-2 cubes butter on cookie sheet in oven as it is heating to 400 degrees and melt in oven. 4. Place dough on cookie sheet and press to fill pan, make sure butter gets on top of the dough.5. Allow to double in size (About 10-15 minutes)6. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until desired browning is accomplished.7. Cut into strips or top with favorite pizza toppings.
* When using regular yeast change amount to 2 Tbsp
recipe from http://everydayfoodstorage.net/ (some really great ideas and recipes on this site -definitely check out)

Saturday - Chicken Enchilada Casserole (recipe from Melanie)

*A couple weeks ago we went over to a friends house and was spoiled with some divine cooking from my great friend Melanie. This is what she made and it was sooo good I had to have the recipe. Well, Melanie cooks like my mom and doesn't always use recipes. However, I bugged her enough that she was able to come up with one. Yay! :) You will completely love this, I promise! She served it with black beans which made for a very yummy meal.*

4-6 chicken breasts - boiled and shredded
12 corn tortillas
2 small cans green enchilada sauce
1 can green chilies
2 cans cream of chicken soup
mexican shredded cheese (or any other kind you want) - 2 cups

Mix the shredded chicken with the cream of chicken soup. Pour one can of green sauce into a 9X13 greased baking dish. Break 6 corn tortillas into 1/4's and layer them on top of the green sauce. Put about half the chicken mixture on, then the other can of green sauce, then the other 6 corn tortillas broken into 1/4's, then the rest of the chicken mixture. Top with the shredded cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Enjoy! I know I did! :)

Sunday - we had dinner at a friends house - steak, sour cream and cheese potatoes, salad and very yummy homemade rolls. I will get her recipe and post it as soon as I try them.

Monday - We had a very hectic day and plans were shifted and basically we ate leftovers. :)

Tuesday - Beef Stew

*I asked Ray when I was planning my menu if he had any requests. He wanted a beef stew. So, I rummaged through the internet looking for a healthy stew that I could make in my crockpot. I found one. I made it. Ray liked it but I didn't care for it much. I wish he had more flavor, maybe salt and pepper would have done it, who knows. I might try it again and tweak it again. If you try it and do anything different, please share with me. I also thought it to be more like a soup rather than a stew. Stews to me are thicker and include potatoes. :)*

Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe
Ingredients:1 pound beef stew meat — cubed, 1″8 teaspoons McCormick Beef Stew seasoning — (1/2 package)15 ounces green fresh or frozen15 ounces canned black beans (1 can)15 ounces peas, fresh or frozen15 ounces corn, fresh or frozen1 medium onion, diced2 large carrots sliced3 cups waterGarnish with fresh chives
* If you can not find McCormick Beef Stew seasoning use another brand of seasoning or use your own favorite spices i.e.: salt, pepper, garlic, or onion soup mix :)
Directions:Put in a crock pot and simmer all day (about 8 hours or so).You just can’t get any easier that that!
Makes 8 servings.
1 serving = 6 Weight Watchers Points (6 WW Points)

Wednesday - Chicken with Orzo and Asagio

*This was very yummy. Asagio is a very strong cheese if you haven't tried it before. Ray likes to eat it on salads. It will keep for a very long time in your fridge, so don't be afraid to buy more than you need for this recipe. Orzo is hard to find. It is a pasta that looks like rice. I looked both at Walmart and Albertson's and couldn't find it. Luckily my mom had some for me and she told me I could get it at Central Market or the commissary. My two picky kids didn't care for this, but me, Ray and Cambria really enjoyed it.*

Orzo with Chicken and Asiago
Recipe By : http://cookinglight.com/
Serving Size : 4
7 Points Per Serving

1 cup fat-free chicken broth
12 ounces skinned and boned chicken breast -- cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup water 1 1/4 cups orzo -- uncooked (rice shaped pasta)
1 cup frozen peas -- thawed
1/2 cup asiago cheese -- grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary -- basil or oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Combine water and broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add chicken and pasta; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in peas, 1/4 cup cheese, salt, herbs, and pepper. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Per serving: 372 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (14% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 62mg Cholesterol; 532mg SodiumFood Exchanges: 3 Grain Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other

Thursday - One-dish Chicken and rice

*I've heard of many different recipes for this. I tried this one and while it was good, I might try a different one another time. I had trouble with some of the rice not getting cooked enough and the spices were too over-powering. If I did it again, I would make to cook a bit longer than 45 minutes and I would cut wayyy down on the spices.*

One-dish Chicken Rice
6 Points Per Serving

1 can cream of mushroom soup -- Campbell's 98% FF
1 cup water
3/4 cup white rice, regular -- uncooked
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt -- my own addition
4 chicken breast halves -- skinned and boned

In 2-qt. shallow baking dish, mix soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper. Place chicken on rice mixture. Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper. Cover. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. For Creamier rice, increase water to 1 1/3 cups.
SERVINGS: 4

Menu plan for the coming week:

Friday- Asian pork chops, egg fried rice and grill pineapple

Saturday - Meal cook by friends we are camping with.

Sunday - Homemade pizza with salad

Monday - Crockpot multi-bean soup

Tuesday - Crockpot pineapple chicken with rice

Wednesday - Spaghetti with salad and bread

Thursday- Chuck E Cheese to celebrate Kyle's birthday

Hope you enjoy and comments are definitely welcome! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sourdough!

Two of my favorite things to make

Bulk Seasoning Mixes - Recipes